Breifne Historical Society - Cumann Seanchais Bhreifne -
Breifne Historical Society was founded at a meeting in the Farnham Arms Hotel in Cavan on 13 January 1956. It was founded as a non political and non sectarian historical society to promote interest in and the study of the local history of the ancient kingdom of Breifne. The territory of Breifne was, in medieval times, ruled over by the O’Rourke and the O’Reilly chieftains and it corresponds to most of the present day counties of Cavan, Leitrim and south Fermanagh, as well as to the ecclesiastical diocese of Kilmore. Breifne Historical Society hosts a series of lectures each year on various aspects of local and Irish history generally. It also organizes an annual tour to some place of historical interest. These tours normally take place in the summer months. The society publishes a journal called ‘Breifne’ which is published in April or May of each year. The first journal was published in 1958 and forty three journals have been published since then. It is now recognized as one of the best and most reputable local history journals in Ireland.